Thursday, February 3, 2011

My Story...

So... since I was 10? 11? years old, I have struggled with weight.  I remember going with  my mother to help her prepare for a wedding shower at Stone County National Bank.  I remember eating cake until I thought I was going to be sick.  For years, I blamed my weight gain on that night.  I felt fat after eating all that cake and it seemed the feeling never went away.  I've not told very many people about that night... and now I'm posting it on the internet. 

Long story - but I won't bore you with it.  It's pretty cliche'.  Weight ups and weight downs. 

When I was dating I weighed 150-160... and when the weight went up, I knew how to change my eating habits and the weight would fall back down to the 150 mark.  I was brought up eating very healthy, but somehow managed to get those genes.  On my wedding day, I believe I weighed 154.  And boy, I struggled back then with my weight.  I thought I was SO fat!   Boy was I wrong!

After marriage, I very quickly put on 20 lbs.  20 became 30.  30 became 40. (about 7 year time span) I decided I wanted to do something about my weight and joined Weight Watchers.  I was very successful and lost 35 lbs.  Back to 180!  Even though I was doing so well, I didn't see it in myself and didn't enjoy the weight loss.  I kept remembering how "fat" I was at 150 and knew I had to get there, plus loose another 20 lbs.  I really wish I'd stuck it out instead of becoming defeated.  Yes, I gained the 35 lbs back... plus.

Then, here came my beautiful baby boy!  After 10 years of marriage, I was very excited to be pregnant and then to finally hold that wonderful baby.   I'd gained 30 lbs through my pregnancy... Thanks to breast feeding, I lost 35 lbs after I had my baby.  Wow!  My doctor was so impressed. 

Oh wait... I was telling the short version...

October 25, 2010... my dear sister #2 convinced me to go back to WW with her.  I did it so I could be supportive and helpful.  I weighed in at a grand total of 225.  Size 20 skirts.  Ugh.  Depressing. But that first week, I lost 4 lbs!  I was shocked.  I'd forgotten how easy the WW plan was!

Fast forward to today... I'm approximatly 18 lbs lighter. Wohoo!  Sure, it seems kind of slow going, but I'll take it.  Since that fateful day in October, I've only logged 2 gains!  Which is very good, if you ask me.  My average weight loss has been 1.6 lbs.  I intend to keep it up. 

So this blog is about my struggles... it my place to vent... and my place to congratulate ME.  Who knows... maybe I'll get real crazy and try a new recipe or something.  Tomorrow I intend to line out the pro's and con's (IMHO) of following the WW plan.

Welcome aboard.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I had no idea that you were doing WW. I have heard lots of good things about it but have never really checked into it. So glad your doing this as well and I am excited to follow along!

Lori Medlin said...

You sure are a brave soul posting your weight for all to see!!! YOur doing good though I'm proud of you!